Los Angeles Chapter

Malibu & Santa Monica

TOP Ocean Friendly Restaurants in Malibu and Santa Monica

Surfrider is fed up with pollution. As a response to increased plastic pollution in the coastal zone and ocean gyres, Surfrider Foundation started an Ocean Friendly Restaurants program.

Restaurants have the power to greatly reduce their impact on our ocean and beaches by implementing a few easy practices.

A main goal is eliminating EPS foam foodware (aka Styrofoam) because it is a top item found at our beach cleanups. There are other types of pollution and issues that restaurants can help with such as conserving water and serving responsible food. Click here to learn more about the Ocean Friendly Restaurants program and the criteria restaurants need to follow to participate.

The following restaurants are the Top Ocean Friendly Restaurants in Santa Monica:


Bareburger is the leader in America’s “better burger” trend, emphasizing high-quality food in a casual environment. Bareburger, which serves beer and wine, is ranked one of the 10 most sustainable restaurants in America and a “breakout brand” by Restaurant News. Bareburger Santa Monica has been an Ocean Friendly Restaurant since 2016 and 80% of their waste is composted through the city of Santa Monica’s composting program (the remaining 20% is split between recyclables and trash).

Bareburger, 2732 Main St, Santa Monica, CA, USA +1 310 392 2122

El Texate Restaurant

El Texate is a family owned and operated ocean friendly restaurant in Santa Monica’s Ocean Park neighborhood. They serve home made Oaxacan cuisine and specialize in Moles from southern Mexico. El Texate has a full bar, featuring one hundred and eighty two Tequilas.

El Texate Restaurant, 316 Pico Blvd, Santa Monica, CA, USA +1 310 399 1115

Huckleberry Café

Everything served at Huckleberry is made on site using the best quality ingredients, including organic flour, Vahlrona chocolate and farmers’ market produce. The menu changes regularly with the seasons and on the baker’s whims. Huckleberry’s owners have embraced Ocean Friendly Restaurant Policies to reduce restaurant waste.

Huckleberry Café, 1014 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA, USA +1 310 451 2311

Milo & Olive

Milo & Olive opened in Winter 2011 as a new neighborhood bakery and pizzeria for Santa Monica, serving a new variety of Co-Owner and Head Baker Zoe Nathan’s breads and pastries, local artisan coffee, wood-fired pizzas, and an ever-evolving menu of small plates and seasonal inspirations. Not only is Milo & Olive an Ocean Friendly Restaurant they have also been a Santa Monica Green Certified business since 2013.

Milo & Olive, 2723 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA, USA +1 310 453 6776

Rustic Canyon

Rustic Canyon offers an ever-evolving menu representing the epitome of Southern California’s market-driven cuisine. Changing daily, the restaurant’s menu offers a selection of dishes intended for sharing, ranging from small plates to mains. The dessert menu is a collection of rustic, seasonal, and fruit-driven desserts, complemented by the hallmarks of classic French technique.

Rustic Canyon, 1119 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA, USA +1 310 393 7050

Sunnin Lebanese Cuisine

Sunnin is a family owned and run business that has specialized in catering authentic Lebanese food to the greater Los Angeles area. Whether you are a connoisseur in Lebanese cuisine, or new to Mediterranean delicacies; whether you are a chicken kebab lover, or a vegetarian or vegan, Sunnin invites you to treat your taste buds and “celebrate life with food”. Sunnin has been an Ocean Friendly Restaurant since 2016 and they have a strong sustainability ethos to protect our planet for future generations.

Sunnin Lebanese Cuisine, 525 Santa Monica Blvd #120, Santa Monica, CA , USA +1 310 395 3602